I was at a loss for what to write for our first entry in The Lee Family Blog (brainchild of my DH who must think I have spare time to document our adventures!) Then, Valentina posted the following on her & Ian's blog: (http://thinkingofeurope.blogspot.com/2008/03/much-awaited-darker-side-of-traveling.html). So in response to that entry, I have come up with the following:
1. "Public transportation:" sounds very similar to our minivan (the breath & body odors; the coughs & sneezes; the germs...
2. "Intermittent internet connection:" try typing one-handed with a 2 year old on your lap! If I let her roam around the room, inevitably she heads for our internet connection and unplugs it from the wall.
3. "Not always being able to express yourself or get the information you need:" English is often not commonly understood in this household. Particularly when the kids are watching TV (especially if "the oldest" is watching volleyball.)
4. "Carrying luggage:" This describes me! I'm lugging around this giant belly up & down stairs daily (often accompanied by a 30 lb. toddler. Not to mention the occasional laundry basket.)
5. "Flying: it's just a hassle in general...train travel is exponentially better." Just imagine.. some day we might travel with 5 kids. We'll be the most hated people on the plane!
6. "Looking for a place to sleep.. ": Sofia pretty much takes over our bed nightly. We have the occassional visits from Gabi & Stevie. Add to that Steve plus the twins, and even a king size bed is not big enough. I have often thought about sneaking into Stevie's room and sleeping on the top bunk (where no one will find me).
7. "Eating:" My idea of eating healthy is getting a Filet O Fish at McDonald's instead of a Big Mac. We often eat our "familiar cuisine" in the "public transportation."
8. "Wearing the same clothes:" I have almost outgrown all of my maternity clothes and still have 10+ weeks to go. I am down to 2 pairs of pants, 3 shirts that are suitable for work and the weekends... (well let's just say I'm no J'Lo when it comes to maternity fashion these days).
9. "The feeling of being a tourist:" Only applies when Steve & I have a night alone and go to a real restaurant. I wonder if we still know which fork to use (since most of the food we eat these days can be eaten without silverware).
10. "Stamina:" Ask me what this means in about 5 years.
11. "Family and friends:" No complaints here.. Except we wish Tio Ian and Tia Valentina were here!